Saturday 30 April 2011

ADHD or Aspergers

The past month has been a mixture of new observations that I have seen in my son as well as all the usual behaviours that we are challenged with on a daily basis. We have had almost 3 weeks of school holidays and as usual it very hard to think of ways to keep the children busy, it is more challenging in our family because with 2 adhd children who have very little attention span it is even more exhausting and mentally draining to constantly be hearing the same whining from the kids.

A few new observations that I have picked up on in this past month which all lead me to think about Aspergers. I've noticed that my son has no awareness of other people's cues, he can't seem to pick up on the fact that sometimes some people that he is talking to actually need to finish up the conversation and get going or they are in the middle of something and need to get back to it or they are in the middle of talking to someone else and have stopped to talk to him but they actually hadn't finished their previous conversation. I find myself feeling awkward and having to try and quickly step in as he takes a quick breath and interrupt him to explain that the other person needs to go or is in the middle of something or is busy. My son hates not being able to finish saying what he is saying and gets very frustrated and angry when people cut him off or don't listen to him, so I have to be very careful to do it in a sensitive way and not upset him. It's not that my son is being precious, it's that he gets very hurt when he gets cut off as he feels that people are ignoring him or don't want to listen to him. His sisters do this to him on a regular basis and we often have our son in tears, putting himself down and telling himself that the girls don't care about him. Of course it is not the case but once again Blake's perceptions are very different to everyone elses.

A couple of other little observations that I have noticed in this past month is that Blake doesn't seem to get "sayings" or sarcasm. He even doesn't seem to understand jokes. He questions them to try and understand the humour, he questions sayings, they don't make sense to him and sarcasm - well that is something that Blake takes literally so it means that we all have to be careful in what we are saying. Sometimes by the time that I explain the joke to him.....well it's not funny anymore or everyone else has moved on with the conversation so it's kind of like a lost moment.
Anyway as we continue with family life, work life and our challenges I will endeavour to write more often as it is useful to look back on and think about some of the difficulties that we have gone through, it motivates me to stay positive, as there is always a worse moment than the current difficulties that I am sometimes experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment